Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lets Elope!

If you ever watched bollywood movies, a common plot line goes something like this: Boy sees hot girl, falls in love with hot girl, the girl at first hates the guy, but after singing and dancing and many costume changes the hot girl falls in love with the boy. Unfortunately,  the girl's family is rich and the boy's family is poor ( sometimes its the other way around) and the girl's family refuses to let them marry. The two lovers then elope and get married, and eventually the family comes around. Everybody lives happily ever after.

Recently, I have been giving eloping with Carmen some serious thought. Unlike Bollywood movies, my want to elope has nothing to do with our families hating each other. In fact, despite the differences in  backgrounds both sides have been pretty open minded. My want to elope has more to do with the bill for the wedding. Estimated 20K! Trust me it adds up pretty quickly. Why is that?  What happened to the idea that a wedding is a joyous event  when two people declare their love for each other. I find myself almost hoping that our families hated each other, so me and Carmen would have a good excuse to elope, Bollywood style.

1 comment:

  1. I read the average cost of an American wedding is something like $25,000. Sounds like you're slightly ahead.

    ReplyDelete