Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Retirement and the Beach

When I retire in 40 years or so, I want to move to Hawaii (one of the small islands). Get a small house not too far away from the beach. Eat tropical fruit everyday. Sit on the porch and read a book. Simple right?

So to do this I have joined my companies 401k plan, and after the wedding plan on getting an IRA. They say starting early is the key to a comfortable retirement.

Also investing in my health is going to be important. I do not want to spend retirement in and out of doctors offices. So some lifestyle changes are required. I am currently about 30lbs overweight. One year ago I was 50lbs overweight. So I have made some progress. I am simply going to continue what I am doing: eat less meat, more whole grains, watch my portion sizes, and exercise 3 days a week. Not as easy at it sounds. Confession: I had 4 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups yesterday. They are so good. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. YUM!

Someone once told me that putting your goals down on paper (blogs are virtual paper) will help me meet them. So, here I am putting my goals down on paper. I will let you know if I have met them in 40 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment